Japan Rail Pass (JR Pass)
Japan Rail Pass (JR Pass)
Japan Rail Pass (JR Pass)
The Japan Rail Pass (JR Pass), which is issued by the Japan Railways Group (JR Group), offers travellers great value for money and convenience.
Japan Rail Pass enables the almost unlimited use of extensive train networks which is considered to be one of the most efficient in the world, and its affiliated bus and ferry services within various areas of Japan.
Japan Rail Pass is a perfect accompaniment for any trip to Japan.
Current Price of Japan Rail Pass
|Type||Ordinary (coach class)||Green (first class)|
You can order your Japan Rail Pass online. Please fill out your order form from below and send us the form.
Then, you can pick up your rail pass(es) on the same day or they will be delivered to you by Express Post.
Regional Rail Passes
The Regional Rail Passes
JR Kyushu) differ from the standard Japan Rail Pass that covers the entire country.
Each regional pass covers a particular geographic area of Japan and encourages you to limit your travel to the attractions of that area.
These passes may be most advantageous to visitors who have been to Japan before and have seen the main sites of Central Japan.
Why buy a Japan Rail Pass?
While the initial price may seem somewhat daunting, the cost benefit of purchasing a Japan Rail Pass is excellent. The cost of just a single
Shinkansen (Bullet Train) journey from Tokyo to Kyoto can cost up to half the price of a
whole week-long Japan Rail Pass!
A Japan Rail Pass cannot be purchased inside Japan. You must purchase a Japan Rail Pass Exchange Order before you travel to Japan.
How to obtain Japan Rail Pass
Present your Exchange Order and obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS after you arrive in Japan.
You have to turn in your Exchange Order (with your passport) to receive your JAPAN RAIL PASS at a JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange office in a major JR station.
- You cannot use an Exchange Order when you travel on JR lines. Turn in your Exchange Order and obtain your Japan Rail Pass at one of
JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange offices.
(Please note the office hours and closing days)
- Your Exchange Order must be turned in for a Japan Rail Pass within three months of the date the Order was issued.
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on 15 April would have to be turned in by 14 July)
- At the time of the exchange you will be asked to fill in a short application form and to show your passport with the Temporary Visitor stamp that you received on entry into Japan.
You must show your passport* and this stamp to process the Rail Pass Exchange Order.
- Without your passport, the pass exchange will not be made.
(A photocopy of your passport is also not acceptable because you must show the "Temporary Visitor" stamp in it.)
- If you are a Japanese national resident in a country other than Japan and with permanent resident status in that country, please show, in addition to your passport, documents testifying to your status.
- The type of PASS described on the Exchange Order cannot be changed.
How to make seat reservations
After turning in your Exchange Order for a JAPAN RAIL PASS, you can make seat reservations at a "Midori-no-madoguchi" (ticket office).
There is no additional charge for making seat reservation.
To make a reservation, go to any Travel Service Center or a "Midori-no-madoguchi" (ticket office) at a JR station, or to the sales office of a JR-associated travel agency.
There, show your PASS, and obtain your reserved-seat ticket before the boarding.
("Nozomi" and "Mizuho" trains and the trains marked with ★ in this table require the payment of an additional charge.)
Shinkansen, most limited express and ordinary express trains have reserved Green Car seats and both reserved and non-reserved ordinary car seats.
A non-reserved seat (except for"Nozomi" and "Mizuho" trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo and Kyushu Shinkansen) can be used simply by showing your JAPAN RAIL PASS.
Validity of Japan Rail Pass and Additional Information
- The Japan Rail Pass is not valid for any seats, reserved (incl. Green Car) or non-reserved, on "NOZOMI" and "MIZUHO" trains.
- There are no Green Cars on most "HIKARI" and "KODAMA" trains on the Sanyo Shinkansen (Bullet Train) line (Shin-Osaka - Hakata), or on Series 800 trains on the Kyushu Shinkansen line.
- If you use a "DX Green" on "Relay TSUBAME" train (operated by JR Kyushu), you must pay the limited express charge in addition to the DX Green charge.
- If you use the Gran Class car, for both Green Car and Ordinary Cars only the basic fare is covered with your Japan Rail Pass and you must pay the limited express charge and the Gran Class car surcharge additionally.
- If you want to check the price in Japanese Yen and timetable for a single journey to and from and other destinations,
you can check all of them from the Hyperdia website
where you simply enter the two cities and press go!
- To get more information. Please visit Japan Rail Pass website operated by Japan Rail Group.
If You want to cancel your Japan Rail Pass ;
- You must bring the original Japan Rail Pass Exchange Order to our office.
- The Exchange Order must be unused.
- Unused Exchange Order are refundable within 12 months from the issue date but are subject to 25% cancellation fee per order.
Refund for unused Japan Rail Pass Exchange Order ;
- The voucher must be unused.
- Only eligible for passenger who purchases Japan Rail Pass Exchange Order to claim a refund.
- Refund amount is based on purchase price less 25% cancellation fees.
- You are not eligible to claim a refund, if you have exchanged to the actual Japan Rail Pass.
- No Refund accepted for a Lost or Stolen voucher.
Mon-Fri 10:00 - 18:00
Sat : 12:00 - 16:00
Sun, Public Holiday : close
c/o Books Kinokuniya,
Level 2 The Galeries,
500 George Street, Sydney,
New South Wales, Australia, 2000
Planning your trip
Helpful information to help you plan your visit
Find out Japan's general information for tourists and cit information
If you have any enquiries then please feel free to contact our Japan travel specialists
Find us on